Wetherby a no go for Coneygree

Cheltenham Gold Cup hero Coneygree will not make his long-awaited return to action in Saturday’s Charlie Hall Chase at Wetherby.

The nine-year-old became the first novice in 41 years to claim the blue riband event at Prestbury Park in 2015, but he has been out of action since running at Sandown last November because of a hock injury.

Mark Bradtock’s bay gelding had been tipped to return to action in West Yorkshire on Saturday, but the trainer’s wife and assistant, Sara, has now confirmed that conditions are not suitable for the horse, so they will instead turn their attention to a potential run in the Betfair Chase at Haydock on November 19.

Sara Bradstock, said: “He won’t be entered for the Charlie Hall. We’ve said all along he’d only go there if that was the only place he’d get soft ground. Haydock is our main aim and the Charlie Hall is also pretty close to that.”

The assistant went on to confirm that Coneygree is in good condition, but they are waiting for softer ground before he returns to competitive action.

She added: “He’s going really well, but obviously we’re desperate for some rain so we can get him on the grass. He’s only worked on the all-weather so far because the ground has been so firm.”

This article was brought to you by Racing Ahead magazine, UK and Ireland's best-selling horse racing monthly magazine. Previewing the key races for the month ahead, as well as reports from our trusted scouts on the track, Racing Ahead is packed with interviews, big-race tips, horses to follow, systems and much more!
On-sale nationwide or subscribe HERE

Tagged , , ,

Related Posts

FFC Blog Network